Saturday, August 13, 2011

broken stuff

Once August rolls around, I feel like I disappear into teacher world. 
The first week always brings me excitement, slight anxiety, and just enough nerves to make it come together.  After a lazy summer, I suddenly kick into high gear and surrender my life over to a classroom.  This year presented a larger barrier than I have had in the past.  Switching schools is a challenge in itself, I don't know where the copier is, I had to figure out where to park, what doors were open at 7 am (if any), or who and where to go when I need something.

This year also challenged my reliability on "stuff."  Half of our building is new, beautiful, Green even!  The other half is old and needs a face lift badly.  My classroom assignment landed me in the old part of the building.  Walking in, I saw mounds of furniture- broken desks, 6 filing cabinets, graffiti on chairs, you name it, it was in there.  I later find out my room was the dumping ground for broken things for the past few years.... great.  After our incredibly helpful custodian helped me rid my classroom of junk, I was left with white cinderblock walls in an awkward rectangular shape, a projector with no cables, 1 window, a few desks, 4 whiteboards that are not magnetic, and 1 bulletin board. No computers, no SmartBoard (gasp!).  I had become dependent on my interactive whiteboard for the last 3 years and now I do not have a computer in my room.  Needless to say, my idea of what teaching looked like was hit dead in the face. 

So after my pity party, and a few inspirational words from Dad, I was off and running to renovate this white space into a learning environment!  My Dad reaffirmed me that the best thing my students will have is ME.  Take away the pretty, techy things, and I am left.  I am the teacher to begin with, right?  So after 5 years, I started over.  I am having to rethink teaching in a new context for the sake of learning, not my comfort. 

A few classroom improvements:
- make a tree! my mom suggested using butcher paper to make something colorful on the walls.  I chose a tree (genre tree) and it inspired the rest of my week.
- paint the whiteboard trim, another teacher suggested this and it was a great idea! I chose yellow to brighten it up.
- curtain to bring more attention to my one window, thank you Mom
- Be a vulture! I began roaming the halls finding give aways and unwanted furniture that I could use... best find? an extra bulletin board that fell off the main hallway, sure I'll take it!
- Ask! I am not afraid to ask to borrow a drill, ask for extra chairs, computers, etc. 
- I get by with a little help from my friends- thanks to my super helpful husband and the Santoros, who just happen to be in town, I felt like I had an army of worker bees helping me lift and label.

**classroom pictures to come! I'm not quite finished yet :)

This is the very short version of my journey in becoming a teacher all over again.  I let the "broken stuff" get in my way of being a teacher.  Teaching starts during the classroom set up, even in the weeks leading up to school.  I had to get over myself to see beyond the stuff.  I learned how to advocate for myself and for my students.  I will ask for what I need, not just what I want.  There will be more challenges, but for now, I'll focus more on the process than the progress.

3 comments:

  1. So glad I found your blog! One thing I did in my last classroom to make it look less like a prison was paint a wall with some chalkboard paint. It usually contained inspirational quotes, but the kids could work math problems or diagram sentences on it, too. Glad you got things going in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I would love some chalkboard space, or the magnetic paint is a possibility? I'll have to look into it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so blessed to be working with you for the next few years! You're positivity is infectious and I already have learned so much from you without you even saying anything. Your love of teaching and the students brightens any room you walk into. I can tell you're an amazing teacher and I can't wait to work with you!
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete